Mr. Abood And His Meat

March 29th, 2011, 11:03H · Topics: Business, Guys · Print

An obviously proud Mr. Abood with a batch of award winning sides of beef which according to the ribbons hanging from each carcass, were purchased at the Ocala Fat Steer Show. 1950′s.

This photo was circulated among members of Jacksonville’s Syrian community and they think it may be Fred Abood of the “Steer Room” and the “Green Derby” restaurants in Jacksonville.   If anyone has any additional information I would welcome your input.

Tags: , , ,

10 Comments → Leave a Reply

Trackback URL

1. 1 Steve O'Brien March 29th, 2011 15:32H

Really Interesting historical images Bob.

2. 2 Bob / Vintage Jacksonville March 29th, 2011 15:48H

Thanks Steve, Loyd did a great job of capturing a really broad sweep of Jacksonville’s people, places and events during his 30+ years photographing around the city.

3. 3 Norma Randle May 8th, 2012 14:44H

The picture is indeed of Fred Abood – owner of Green Derby

4. 4 Mark Frost August 15th, 2012 22:52H

I thought Van Fletcher owned the Green Derby and Fred Abood owned Sandy’s Steer Room at the Farmers Market??

• 5 Bill August 18th, 2012 8:35H

Abood sold the Steer Room to the Edwards family and the restaurant became Sandy’s Steer Room. Later, Abood bought the Green Derby from the Fletchers

5. 6 Richard Bowers November 27th, 2012 9:03H

I think that is Joe Adeeb who owned the Green Turtle on Philips Highway and later, The Sea Turtle. Right out of High School(Landon), several of us owned a valet operation and parked cars there for tips. Today, we are a retired Owner of an Insurance Agency, a retired Pathologist, a retired VP of a major sports organization, and an owner of a string of fast food restaurants.

• 7 J. Christian March 29th, 2016 1:02H

Sorry that is not Joe. Joe was a classmate of mine at Terry Parker and married a childhood friend of mine. Joe would have been a toddler when this picture was taken.

6. 8 Andy Bryan September 22nd, 2014 18:13H

In the late fifies I met Rocky Marciano at Van Flecher’s Green Derby. Rocky was here promoting an election of County Commissioner of Duval County. Rocky put on a boxing match between the County Commissioner and Billy Brown who fought Sugar Ray Robinson back in the late fifties. I fought in the Golden Gloves in the late fifties with Julian Jackson was the sponser.

7. 9 bob October 22nd, 2014 21:19H

Thank You Mr. Bryan for sharing that piece of Jacksonville history!

8. 10 RON WILLAMS January 1st, 2017 21:13H

Interesting to see Mr. Abood at the age when I knew him as THE restauranteur of the Green Derby in Jacksoville.

I am now some 40 years later living near Knoxville, TN and still have warm memories of dining a few times at the Green Derby on Riverside Ave.

There are few restaurants like that any more, at least ones that are near where I now live. Abood’s Derby was one of the best and the food and service was always excellent. The prices probably by today’s standars was cheap, but not so much then.

I remember that Fred had a small cooler at the entrance of the restaurant with ageing meat displayed – an apparent symbol of pride for him. The meat would have a slightly green “growth” on it that was not all that appetizing to look at, but if you knew why, it was not bad. That is what it take to naturally make steak tender.

I have looked on Google and found the restaurant replaced by a many storied building of no particular pedigree which make me sorry to see the “progress” that Jacksonville has made since I left there in 1974.

Just another note: I long for the salads and steaks that I used to get at Karl Hellenthal’s little restaurant on Normandy Boulevard also. That restaurant and Mr. Hellenthal are both long gone now. Sad.

That’s all I have to comment. It was nice to see Mr. Abood’s photo after all these years

RON