Hitler’s Yacht

May 10th, 2011, 13:50H · Topics: Famous And Not So..., Getting Around · Print

“This is what was left of Adolph Hitler’s yacht.  People took parts of it for souvenirs, and someone started a fire and this hull was what was left.” LS

Typed on back of the print  “This is to certify that these pictures were taken Wednesday, August 30, 1950, approximately 2:30 P.M. to 3:30 P.M. by–Loyd Sandgren”

(Under Sandgren’s name is the name Robert Stedeford)

The Ostwind was one of two sailboats commissioned by Hitler in 1936 and it came to the United States after the war changing owners a half dozen times. It ended up in Jacksonville where it sat in disrepair until the 1980′s.  It was given to a Jewish Miami Beach Holocaust survivor who ultimately burned and sank it in the Miami Harbor.  There is apparently no evidence that Hitler ever set foot on the Ostwind.

Tags: , , , , ,

12 Comments → Leave a Reply

Trackback URL

1. 1 Asa Rock July 14th, 2011 9:53H

Your site is a pleasant stroll down memory lane.

A minor correction you may wish to address concerns the photo on your site by Lloyd Sandgren attributed to being Adolf Hitler’s yacht the Ostwind.

The photo may be of some other, smaller watercraft connnected to Hitler, but it is not the 85 foot long Ostwind.

This photo is dated 1950, but the Ostwind was relatively intact up until the early 1980′s when she was finally dragged ashore on the northside of Jacksonville by J.J. Nelson and later sold to the group in Miami that sank the Ostwind 2 miles offshore in 1989.

In 1950 the Ostwind was being sailed as a training vessel by the US Naval Academy in Maryland. Later that year the yacht was sold to Navy Commander John Lyman who sailed and lived aboard the Ostwind with his wife until he sold it in 1966.

Visit http://bootyforsale.com and view the “about’ page for a more detailed history of the Ostwind.

Again, your site is enjoyable.

• 2 john s September 5th, 2012 12:10H

I saw the Ost Wind in Jacksonville, Fl.. It was in very poor condition, but afloat. I don’t know the year, probably the late1980′s.

2. 3 Bob / Vintage Jacksonville July 14th, 2011 15:13H

Asa, I appreciate your addition to the post. You may well be right. I am working from notes left behind by the photographer and I have found minor inconsistencies from time to time. Most of the notes Loyd Sandgren wrote were written and attached to his photographs later in his life as he was going through the vast collection of images from his 40 plus year career. I know I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast from time to time so it would be no surprise if the fog of time blurred some of the details from 30 years prior. In his defense, Loyd was very sharp right up to his passing. I can only hope to be so lucky.

3. 4 Carol Ferkler Ecker June 10th, 2013 18:58H

This photo is not of the Eastwind. My father was sailing on her at that time with his friend and past commander, whlle in Naval Intelligence, John Lyman. They sailed the Chesapeake Bay and I still have the black and white movies of my parents and their friends having a wonderful time on a beautilful day on a beautiful boat.

• 5 julie lyman June 22nd, 2014 20:21H

How could I get a copy of that video? My father was John. G LYMAN. Thank you.

4. 6 Bob / Vintage Jacksonville June 10th, 2013 21:18H

Thank you Carol, What a great story. I think there may be a level of urban legend surrounding the rotting hull that was in Jacksonville. There are a lot of stories and a lot of memories but little solid documentation to back them up. I don’t think I have seen any other photos of the ship during the time it was said to have been in Jacksonville. I always welcome information to fill in the information gaps.

• 7 Carol Ferkler Ecker June 10th, 2013 21:36H

Hi Bob, if you would like a copy of the movies my father took, I would be happy to send them to you. She’s under full sail on the Chesapeake Bay with many happy sailors and their wives aboard.
      Carol

• 8 Jim Mauney October 23rd, 2013 20:54H

Carol,

I am in possession of a piece of lead ballast from the Ostwind. There is a box and inscription about the Ostwind as well as the number 153 on the edge of the lead souvenir.

Can you shed light as to the authenticity of the object.

Once you respond I can email photos for you to review.

jim Mauney

• 9 maria June 22nd, 2014 18:09H

Did your father know John Lyman?

• 10 Debbie Smith February 6th, 2015 9:56H

I’m sure it was in Jacksonville FL. It was dock on the water at my father’s cousins home in Mandarin for several years. He later sold it and it was docked of Trout River in North Jacksonville in bad shape. There were some news articles regarding this in the Florida Times-Union paper. I then heard in was sold to someone in Pennsylvania

5. 11 Debbie Smith February 6th, 2015 9:35H

My Father’s cousin Horace Glass in Jacksonville Fl purchase the yacht back in the 80′s. I heard that if was brought in from Flager Beach. He had it dock off his home in Mandarin for many years. and then was docked off trout river in north Jacksonville. He sold parts off of it to raise money to restore it for a museum however it never take off. I do have a piece of the Mass that has been authenticated.

• 12 Liz Gavilan April 1st, 2017 0:00H

Debbie, your account matches what I was told by my late husband Bob L. Gavilan, owner of The Old Book Shop on Beach Blvd in St. Nicholas, one of his customers, Horace Glass and his wife Jody, owned the Ostwind and was in the process of repairing it. Commemorative bars from the lead ballast were fashioned and sold to raise money for this project. I do believe it was a storm that came through that partially sank the boat and the Glass couple abandoned the project.

It is my understanding they relocated to the north but I do not know where. I do remember seeing one of the commemorative bars and some associated paperwork, like maybe a flyer, in my husband’s book shop. I am thinking this was sometime during the 80′s. I seem to remember that the ship was anchored in the Mandarin area.

Your account about bringing the boat up from Flagler Beach triggered a part of the story I had forgotten until reading your post but now I remember my husband had told me that too.

lgavilan@bellsouth.net