Lobster House

July 5th, 2011, 12:45H · Topics: Around Town, Business · Print

“The picture was taken for the Borum Boat Co. at The Lobster House.  Notice the fins on the Boat.  It was 1959.  This as you can see was taken at night.” LS

The Lobster House restaurant came into being in 1944 on the Southbank of the St. Johns River in a building that used to be a boat repair shop.  It’s pop culture claim to fame is that several scenes for Revenge Of The Creature, the 3-D sequel to The Creature From The Black Lagoon were filmed there in the mid 1950′s with the Gillman climbing from the St. Johns River and snatched it’s victim from the restaurant.  The structure burned in the early 1960′s.  The current River City Brewing Company is located close to The Lobster House’s former site at the base of the Acosta Bridge.

Trivia Alert!  Clint Eastwood landed his first uncredited movie role as a lab technician in Revenge Of The Creature.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. 1 Richard Bowers November 27th, 2012 9:14H

Revenge of the Creature was the second in the series, it was filmed at Marineland and then in Jacksonville. A number of locals were extras in the film, including a 15 year old Landon student with a flattop haircut(me!). I think I got $5 for the experience.

2. 2 Dan Shannon April 9th, 2013 13:52H

The Lobster House was owned by Ducky Glickstein. His son Donald was my stepfather. My sister and I played there some Saturday mornings while the place was cleaned, and reset for Saturday nights business. Ducky Glickstein also owned Trader Glicks on Philips Highway after the Lobsterhouse burned.

• 3 Cheri Glickstein Rhodes December 10th, 2013 12:59H

Dan, My father is Marvin Glickstein, Donald’s brother. I remember you & your sister, and your mother Millie well. When I was young you were the only cousins that I knew.

• 4 Dan Shannon September 10th, 2014 20:00H

Hello Cheri, I sat with your father when his brother was ill just before he passed. His son Donnie was in from San Antonio to be with him also. I remember you, Linda, Mark , Todd and Phil. I remember coming to visit in West Palm, staying at the Sea Spray, and going to Lion Country. Not bad memory for a 60 year old. I hope you are well. Dan

3. 5 Jeff June 5th, 2013 16:24H

I was a mere child in the early 60′s, but I remember going to eat there with my parents, brothers and sister. I do not remember it burning, but I do remember Trader Glicks too. If i remember correctly that was a Polynesian themed restaurant that burned down as well.

4. 6 Bob September 6th, 2014 21:10H

Really old Prudential old-timers remembers that, before the “new” Pru building was completed in the 1950′s, the company put up a one-story building on the southside for temporary use. The Pru arranged for the southside employees to have lunch at The Lobster House, and those who worked down town envied them.

5. 7 sandra Hendricks September 7th, 2014 16:14H

My mother used to work there

6. 8 Tom September 9th, 2014 10:50H

Many extras for the scene for the Creature were Prudential employees. Many had not been in Jacksonville that long having moved from NJ.