Borum Boat Building

March 3rd, 2015, 8:00H · Topics: Business, Getting Around, Guys, Interior · Print

On the factory floor of Borum Boats. The Jacksonville boat builder made wonderful wooden recreational boats starting in 1954 and Loyd Sandgren did much of their photography work, on land and in the water.  According to the information that I have found they started manufacturing their boats in the old Ford Model A factory building on Jacksonville’s Talleyrand waterfront. The building can still be seen below the Mathews Bridge, on a pier sticking out into the St. Johns River.  This appears to be a smaller space than I would expect to see inside that structure but if anyone knows more details, please share them.  There is additional information about the company in this previous post.  (Update: I was contacted by Marty Otis Borum, the son of Otis C. Borum who tells me that this was the plant located at 129 E. 21st. Street. A location that I was previously unaware of.  Thank You Marty.)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

1. 1 Barry Covington March 13th, 2015 11:19H

One of the Borum children, Johnny, and I were buds at Arlington Elementary. I was visiting at the Borum home on Big Pottsburg Creek and Johnny’s dad gave us a ride in one of the boats he’d brought home from the plant. As I recall, the seats were not yet installed so we sat on cushions. Breathtaking sport as we raced down the river at big time speeds (for that era) in a 12 or 14 foot boat with a “monster” 25 HP Johnson hanging on the stern. Great stuff for show ‘n tell the next day.
    It seems like this should have been slightly earlier than 1954…..but, then again, as I’m now firmly entrenched in Old Goatdom, my memories are highly suspect.

2. 2 bob March 21st, 2015 20:48H

Thank you Barry. I always appreciate it when the photographs connect with people who were there and can fill in the gaps. Sometimes Loyd Sandgren left notes with this photographs and sometimes, as with this image, he did not so I have to go with my research and and knowledge of similar images from the collection. Bob Self/Vintage Jacksonville

3. 3 Lt. Colonel John Borum, Retired April 2nd, 2015 7:15H

My dad, John E. Borum, Otis’ brother and his associate during some of the boat building years, related many great memories. He once told me that Uncle Otis built his first boat for a client at age fifteen. Pop said when the boat was finished, they couldn’t get it outside through the room opening. So, the story goes, Granddaddy Otis P. Borum had to tear the entire wall down to free the new boat for delivery to the client. Thought you might enjoy that little tale. Thanks for your participation and interest in Borum Boats. I regarded my Uncle Otis as rather a genius of marine design and construction. Cheers! JB

4. 4 bob April 2nd, 2015 9:22H

John, Great addition to the post. It appears that Borum Boats had quite an interesting history in Jacksonville and I’m glad Loyd Sandgren documented so many aspects of the company’s work. Bob Self/Vintage Jacksonville

5. 5 Jim April 8th, 2015 16:51H

I bought a 1959 17′ Borum from a farmer in Waterloo, Nebraska back in the 90′s, enjoyed it for a few years up there, then towed it to Tampa and used it a few years there also. Had to sell it per my “better half” before moving up here to Jacksonville. Still disappointed I couldn’t have brought it back home here to Jax. 50 hp 1959 Evinrude with a brass prop provided the power. A great, solid, fast eye turner.

6. 6 marty otis borum June 12th, 2015 17:01H

Otis C, Borum is my father. The photo was not the wambolt street plant which is the old Ford plant off Talleyrand. This photo was taken in the 129 E. 21st street plant.

• 7 Ken Mickler August 3rd, 2016 22:44H

Marty, I remember working with you, Don and your dad in the Wambolt plant. Great times working with such a brilliant man as Otis.

7. 8 John Smith July 31st, 2015 18:08H

I just bought a 1958 Borum Ranger boat that has
    been sitting in a barn for over 35 years. After getting
    it all cleaned up, it appears to be as sound today as
    it was in 1958. Awesome woodwork !!!
    The seats fold down for a bed with full canvas bimini
    top and side curtains. This is a fantastic weekend
    cruiser. It has a 1958 Johnson 40hp motor.

8. 9 Scott Kent April 30th, 2016 22:43H

I’m trying to a copy of the line drawings for the Sea Camper. if anyone has information please contact me.