Borum Boat In A Box

March 8th, 2011, 11:00H · Topics: Business, Getting Around · Print

“I had this special background built at the Borum Boat Co. so we could take pictures of the new boats.  Once again the background would be taken out for the ads.” LS

Loyd Sandgren did photographs for both the Borum Boat Company and Huckins Yacht Corporation during the 50′s and 60′s.  Huckins is still around today located on Jacksonville’s Ortega River but Borum is a historic relic. The Borum Boat Company set up shop in the Ford Model A plant on Jacksonville’s waterfront in 1954 and produced 12 different models of wooden boats (all named after cars) during it’s time there.  In 1961 the city of Folkston, GA lured the company from Jacksonville but that plant only stayed open a couple of years before closing it’s doors.  They came back to Jacksonville and produced fiberglass boats until 1980.

Tags: , ,

1. 1 Wade March 10th, 2011 14:50H

Great story. But it is spelled Huckins Yacht Company.

thanks

• 2 Bob / Vintage Jacksonville March 11th, 2011 15:08H

Thanks for the catch. It has been corrected. Bob

2. 3 Michael Borum February 4th, 2013 10:24H

What a wonderful discovery! I’m thrilled to see photographs of my grandfather’s work included in Mr. Sandgren’s archive. That Borum logo visible on the trailer is the same one my dad has printed on his business cards TODAY. It’s a classic.

3. 4 bob February 4th, 2013 10:57H

Michael, So happy that you found the site. I appreciate any additional background that you can add to any of the posts.

4. 5 Michael Borum February 6th, 2013 20:01H

Thanks, Bob!

My dad tells me the woman in this photo is the late Carolyn Pickett, who became my grandfather’s second wife (in the 1950s, I think). She was a model around town, and he met her through the photo-shoots she did for Borum Boats at the time.

5. 6 Marc Tyler May 8th, 2013 16:44H

My dad kept a sailboat moored at a rickety marina just upstream from the Huckins Yacht Co. I remember being fascinated by the factory out over the water.

6. 7 John Smith September 26th, 2015 19:22H

I was honored to have Don Borum come by my home today with another Borum boat owner friend,
    Bill Humphries of Apopka. We had a very lovely visit and I gained a lot of history of the Borum Boat Co.
    I have a 1959 Ranger 15′ Utility. HIN: 6595. It was named after the Ford Edsel “Ranger”. It is pushed by a 1960 Johnson 40hp outboard. This boat has been sitting in a barn for the past 35 years and is as solid as the day it came out of the factory. It sits on a Gator trailer. Hopefully, I can finish the restoration for the 2016 Lake Dora get-together.

7. 8 Michael Cowan October 20th, 2016 15:03H

My Great Uncle worked for Ford in that building and in 1980 I went to work for All Terrain Engineering In that same building . Borum Made our fiberglass parts for us .